IUD Project

Quick and informal research on customers were fearful/anxious during the initiation phase of product adoption.

By the time my team and I got involved with the Mirena project, extensive research and work had already been done. In the giant research report binder, there was little analysis that was different from previous ones. Lacking a budget for further research, we decided to gather insights using publicly available information on Twitter.

Social Listening, Tactical Planning, UI, RX, Women's Health

Mirena - 2008 to 2012

Business, As Usual

I was on the team that helped design a large portion of the marketing assets for the market leader in the women’s healthcare products (especially contraceptives). As usual, around Q4, these brands ask for ideas to help complete their budget before end of year. I was asked to the table for new ideas. During this time, a large portion of the ideation team was on vacation - which was a curse and a blessing, because the task fell onto me with only the weekend to complete.

Every brand had a large binder with market analysis, competitive analysis, and consumer insights. After going through this document, it was clear that very few people had read it and also it was also clear that there was nothing new in this binder. It was similar to past versions of the brand and even other brands.

We had a list of cookie-cutter “tactics” (what the marketing industry refers to micro products/services within larger assets) that we could reuse. There was very little evidence that these tactics would offer any real value to customers.

Poor Man's Research

After a very quick look into social media and searching under the brand name, customer’s presented a very common issue that wasn’t mentioned in any meetings, data, or fat binders. Prior to and during the first nine months of getting the intrauterine product implemented, there was an immense amount of fear, anxiety, and confusion. Customers were not looking for answers on the brand site or were giving up quickly before going to forums or asking friends. A large portion of the customers were expressing their relief after they decided to take it out after the anxiety.

A critical mass of fearful adopters during the first couple months of getting on the product.

Human-Centered Service

This insight drove the creation of new attitudes and tactics:

  • Early introduction to the product - the old website and materials didn’t show the product at all. Acquaintance to product itself was important - it would be a shame for the first introduction to be at the office right before insertion.
  • Show its flexibility and size - the interface simulated a tactile experience where the user can bend, zoom, rotate the product and see it next to other items to give relative size.
  • Show a critical mass of other product users - user generated content, and wall of other product users. It was important for users to see others like themselves who have gone through the same experience.
  • Directly addressing the topics that scare customers - a word cloud with content about key words like, “removal,” “bleeding,” “risks."

Other tactics catered to the target - mothers who wanted to having pregnancy on pause so they can focus on themselves. These tactics celebrated their peripheral interests.

Simplification/cleanliness unbecoming of a pharma website.
Upfront introduction to the product - acquaintance to the product to counteract the fear of installation.
More "show me" content than "tell me."